Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Insights from "Jump" by Van Halen

Structure
This song has a very strong structure. In a basic way of describing it, it goes verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus. However, on a smaller level, the verses have a section that precedes the chorus. That section is labeled as Pre-chorus above because it seems to lead to and set up the chorus, and at the same time there is enough melodic and harmonic difference from the lines that precede it to think of it as separate from the verse. Also notice that the lyrics in both pre-choruses are the same when the lyrics in each verse are different. The new lyrics at the beginning of the verses makes the song feel like it is progressing or like the story is continuing.
Also, note again that the verse after the first chorus is half as long as the verse before the chorus. See past entries to see other examples of this.

Lyrics
The lyrics speak very generally. In fact, we don't really know what's going on. "I get up and nothing gets me down. You've got it tough, I've seen the toughest around. And, I know just how you feel. You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real." (A little bit of advice at the end of the verse).
I can hardly think of what to make of the lyrics of the second verse. A possible reason these or any of the lyrics work at all is just because they come so naturally from David Lee Roth's personality. They are wild, fun, rebellious, and mildly flirtatious. The last line ("...you won't know until you begin") hints at the need for action, which is called for in the chorus ("Might as well jump")

Music
The intro music is the same basic pattern as the chorus and the verse. This allows for a super-smooth transition from pre-chorus to chorus and back to verse. It feels like the most natural thing in the world.
As the song approaches what should be the third verse, we wonder "what will happen now?" Will it be the expected third verse or will it be something different? And, of course, it is something different. The craziest, highly energized guitar solo takes off soaring over bass notes and rhythms that we haven't yet heard in the song. It's a bridge or C section. Finally it returns to the opening riff. We know we're near the end, and we're now ready to indulge in that chorus for a little while. And, without ceasing to be inventive, a new subtle element is added with that chugging eighth note line in the guitar. The chorus could've been repeated multiple times until the fade out, but that little extra something keeps us interested to the last second.

Verse 1

I get up

and nothing gets me down

I'm doing great. I'm stoked on life, and there's nothing getting in my way.

You got it tough

I've seen the toughest around

Things can be difficult, but I've seen it all. So, no worries.

We really don't know what specific situation is happening in these lyrics or any of the lyrics to follow, but somehow it's specific enough and cool sounding enough that we feel like we get it.

And I know

Baby, just how you feel

You got to roll with the punches

and get to what's real

In the hard times you have to just learn to deal with it, and eventually you will cut through the bullcrap of other people's egos and selfishness. Then you will know what's truly important in life.


Pre-chorus 1

Ah can't you see me standing here

I got my back against the record machine

I don't fit in.

I ain't the worst that you've seen

But I'm not as bad as some people are.

Ah can't you see what I mean?


Chorus

Might as well jump. Jump!

Might as well jump.

Just go for it. Grab life by the horns. Carpe Diem. Seize the Day.


Verse 2

Ah oh! Hey you! Who said that?

Baby how you been?

I'm stepping out. I'm being vocal. I'm going for it.

You say you don't know

You won't know until you begin

Nobody knows what to feel until they really start going for something. Until you start moving in a direction, you are directionless.


Pre-chorus 2

Ah can't you see me standing here

I got my back against the record machine

I ain't the worst that you've seen

Ah can't you see what I mean?


Chorus

Oww might as well jump. Jump!

Go ahead and jump. Jump!

3 comments:

  1. ...And here's a youtube video that will help you learn the keyboard part. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1K_vu9ztaY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great insights on one of my favorite songs to play. Keep it going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dave! My first rockin' piano teacher! Thank you sir. Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete